OK I think I get it now. The bolts actually screw into the water passages. I was thinking they were maybe just exposed to the area of teh head and block head gasket area and the gasket may be leaking water into the bolt area. Which I suppose it might be but then I may need a new head gasket as those water holes are small and the gaskets have holes for the bolts so they should be sealed. But I could see how the water could work it;s way up the bolt threads fromt he wsater passage below and weep out on the top under the bolt head and into the area under the valve covers.

I did some searches using google and found a lot of cases of this.

I will try sealing it with one of the compounds mentioned.
Right Stuff, Permetex Aviation Sealant, Super 300, Permatex High Temp Thread Sealer with Teflon, permatex gold or copper, or joint compound.

I am leaning toward the "Permatex® High Temperature Thread Sealant with PTFE (Teflon)"

OEM specified. Locks and seals threaded fittings. Resists leakage, vibration loosening, moisture, hydraulic fluids and diesel fuels. Lubricates threads for easy assembly and disassembly. Won’t shred or wear like thread seal tape. Parts may be repositioned up to 4 hours after application. Temperature range from -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C). Contains PTFE.

Suggested Applications: Head bolts into through holes, oil PSI sending units and sensors, oil and coolant lines, fuel fittings, rear axle fill plug, brake and power steering fittings.


Sounds like it is made for this application (Head Bolts).


Any known reason not to use this stuff?

Last edited by svwilbur; 04/27/2011 7:20 PM.