It's been awhile but I wanted to update everyone on what I've found and done. The project is moving along nicely.
I used an Isuzu NPR front axle. $500 @ American Truck Salvage in Phoenix, AZ (with p/s box). For wheels, Jim @ WheelsNowinc.com was very knowledgable about these wheels. He told me the NPR is 6 on 222.25, w/ 164 mm bore, (I forgot to write down the offset) but the 6 lug 22.5 bud wheel fits it. (part #28157). This does widen the front axle but it still fits under the wheel well and looks good. I am using the NPR power steering unit and will adapt a steering linkage to it. I have to remove the index groove in the steering arm so I can re-position it for my application. Since I am putting a 6 cyl diesel in this truck I have to rebuild the inner fender well anyway. (widened for engine). I am going to make it a bolt in removable fender well so I can get to the side of my engine if I need to. I built perches for the springs (the original are narrower) and also incorporated front (and rear) airbags and a shock mount. I will try using a Dodge front shock since it is shorter than the Isuzu but should give me plenty of range of motion.
One negative about the NPR to consider. When turning the tire may come in close contact with the rear of the fender and may require me to trim and slightly re-shape the back of the fender. (I won't know for sure until I inflate the airbags and see what my actual ride height will be). This probably won't be noticeable to most people, but since my cab is already painted it would create extra paint and body work I was hoping to avoid.
Off-topic for this thread: I am using a I.H. N175 rear axle with 4:44 gearing, disc brakes, 10 lug hub pilot wheels. Rear airbags, stock Dodge non-overdrive (727) transmission with Gear Vendor unit making it in effect a 6 spd automatic w/ overdrive. Stock gas tank with a bed mounted transfer tank plumbed to auto fill my tank when it gets below 3/8, cut off at 7/8, and cut off the transfer and give me a low fuel light when the transfer gets below 1/4. Don at Isspro is working on the switched sending units for me. The fuel will be pumped and conditioned with an Airdog mounted on the frame under the drivers running board. The battery box will have to be enlarged but will remain under the passengers feet inside the cab.
Now on to air intake and braking issues...
51 Chevy 2-Ton Flatbed, 6bt Cummins Non-Intercooled Diesel, Old Smokey Power Pin, Airdog Fuel Prep/Pump, Non-Overdrive (727) Transmission w/ Gear Vendor (6 spd w/ overdrive), 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 wheel airbags over leaf suspension, Power Steering.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=98921&id=1387640733&l=9fbb8b2d8749 GMC Tractor w/ Sleeper ready for restoration.