plastic bead blasting.... tried it myself. It will take off Paint but NO rust or much of anything else. I have a bucket full in my shop and it'll probably never be used!!
I had about 1/4 of one side on my panel to blast. Well, when I did the bulk of my panel with the find sand I had pushed the panel back in the shop with my bare hands. My hand print was on the cowl and it rusted from the moisture in my hand. Well, I took the body to a professional (22 years in business) and he PLASTIC blasted the 1/4 of side panel I had left and it took PAINT ONLY off. The plastic would not even take off the rusty hand print on the cowling. We tried a couple other things and plastic just don't get the job done. AND its very expensive if you have have someone else do it. Here its 100 and hour PLUS the plastic which appears to be ground up bumpers and tailight lenses.
Its fine blasting sand or glass beads for me.