I totally agree with you, but I don't think that the Strombergs are very hard to find. I see them on e-bay about every week.
They came in a bunch of different sizes and a bunch more different jetting sizes, but the good news is that if you can match up the venturi sizes, then it is not to hard to match a pair of them together. You can even match the BXOV-2, BXOV-25, and the BXOV-26 all with each other. Rebuild kits can be bought at 40 some bucks each and there are new main jets still available.
You will find the most difference with BXOV's that were made for Chevy, Ford, Buick, and so on is only in the jetting and the linkage hookup.
So it is actually not very hard to match one that was made for a Chevy with one that was made for a Ford and put them together as a 2x1 setup.
I think a pair of the old Stromgerg BXOV's are the BEST carburetor for any old, street driven, daily driven, straight six.
But then, that's just my opinon.
You can see my collection at,
http://community.webshots.com/user/OldFartEd OldFartEd