| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#70762 12/29/2006 8:42 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Oldbluetruck: I was just yanking your chain for amusement and I did understand what you were saying but misstating. I'm a might concerned about tapping the rods or pistons with a mallet. That would be a side trust/load that could possibly cause some damage(cracks to the piston skirts or rings. I think you will do yourself a big favor by only rotating the crank as others have suggested. That is what it is made to do and the PB Blaster will do it's job that way just fine.
Lifters develope a pattern of wear that is very hard to see with the naked eye. You make a good point however about replacing lifters on an old cam. I don't recommend that personally and suggest both cam and lifters be replaced. They need to be run in at about 1500 RPM for 20-30 minutes after initial startup and don't forget the cam lube either. I can't see why a mechanical lifter would need replacement unless it was severally dished from a soft spot in which case it would also effect the cam lobe. So again, it's a case of replacing both in my humble opinion. | | |
| |
| |