Folks,

I understand the electrical physics of the motor and was merely trying to keep things on a very high, elementary level. Perhaps I shouldn't have included the reference to Ohm's Law?

So, Super55, these are practices I follow in my shop as it pertains to electric motors:

1. If the motor is dual voltage, I always run it at 240V instead of 120V.

2. If possible, I plug the tool directly into the wall outlet. Most of my tools are on mobile bases so I have the ability to move them around to accomplish this.

3. If I use an extension cord it is the shortest possible length. (I buy the cords from the bulk spools at Lowes or Home Depot and put the ends on myself so I can customize the lengths).

4. My extension cords are always oversized. As an example, if the factory cord that came with my thickness planer is 12 gauge, and I need to use an extension cord, I use my 10 gauge extension cord.

Now, these are the things that I do that seem to work in my shop. Most of my tools are Delta, Rockwell and Dewalt, all are industrial grade and most are at least 20 years or older. I have never had a motor burn up on me due to poor cord management practices.

I hope this helps you...

Burgie


Burgie

1964 Chevy C60 w/ Garwood dump, 327 CID, New Process 540C 5-Speed w/ Chevy 15,000 lb. 2-speed rear axle
1966 Chevy C60 w/ 292 CID, Chevy 4-speed w/ Chevy 15,000 lb. single speed rear axle

[b]Burgie's 1964 Chevy C60 Restoration Site[/b]