Well, I guess I am confused? I have an extensive collection of woodworking tools in my shop. Nearly 90% of them are dual voltage. In every case, the nameplate will list voltage and current.

As an example I looked at my drill press; the nameplate data is:

Voltage: 120/240 & Current: 12/6

My tablesaw is:

Voltage: 115/230 & Current: 15/7.5

Now, to me, that implies that if I double the voltage, the current draw is halved?

Yes, with a purely resistive load the relationship between voltage and amperage is directly proportional. If one increases so does the other proportionately. With an inductive load the relationship is inversely proportional; increase the voltage and you'll decrease the amperage...

So...am I missing something here?


Burgie

1964 Chevy C60 w/ Garwood dump, 327 CID, New Process 540C 5-Speed w/ Chevy 15,000 lb. 2-speed rear axle
1966 Chevy C60 w/ 292 CID, Chevy 4-speed w/ Chevy 15,000 lb. single speed rear axle

[b]Burgie's 1964 Chevy C60 Restoration Site[/b]