Thanks Griggs! Your old Ford was really awesome! It looks like you "upgraded" it quite a bit. I was kind of looking to do the same thing for my old 54. Long run I was hoping to put it back into service and maybe even use it in the winter to plow for some extra $. I may be wrong but it seems as if the p30 axle will be a downgrade in terms of weight rating? I was hoping to beef it up rather than down if at all possible. To be honest I don't know exactly what the rating is for my current original front axle is, but I do know that my grandfather had it registered back in the 80s for 30k+ lbs. According to the DMV now they titled it for 25k (under NJ CDL) when I went down to transfer the title. I believe that the "new" rear axle he put in before he passed is an upgrade over the original. "Back in the day" it wasn't uncommon to see it mounded over the dump sides with stone (with the wood sides probably 8 ton of stone?), a 9 ton tag trailer behind it with a old 6 ton 310 case track loader on it. I am aware that this is excessive and probably far more than it should have been hauling (or stopping). But the old girl handled it without issue for many years. Of course you would hear the nascar like sound of the 292 screaming along through the 4 speed and 2 speed rear long before you would see her. As a little kid I thought it was the coolest sight and sound ever. (It still rates pretty high). Thanks I really appreciate your help.


1954 6100 Chevy Dump, 292 L6, SM465, 2-speed rear
http://community.webshots.com/user/grampsold54