Your right there. I can't seem to get enough measurements. Just when i think I have them all I need another.
The Rockwell RS 17 144 family is a pretty heavy duty alternative for the rear end. Backing plate to plate it is short enough, but the wheels are the big rig 10 lug 22.5's. There is no higher gearing for the one I have (6:17). The Rockwell is available all the way up to 2:60's.
The front end is even tougher. Everyone around here seems squeamish about welding an i-beam. The Dodge cab and chassis, and the Ford F550's have a tubular front axle that would be much easier to cut and weld, but the steering box (arm) moves side to side instead of front to back, and I can't think of a way to make it work. 1983 appears to be the first year they went to disk brakes, and I am looking for a truck that year to see if they used the same axle/kingpin set up. Then all I would have to do is change that out, install the power steering, and I would have disc brakes and power steering, but I still wouldn't have a front end that has been "beefed up" much.
Going salvage yard hunting tomorrow. The Isuzu's have some potential, as I found a box truck today that had a narrow enough front and rear, but would need the wheels converted from 6 big lugs, to 10 lug.
You probably already know these guys but I will post them again for anyone looking to go 10 lug.
www.chromewheel.comAmeri-T.A.W. Mfg. Co. Inc.