OK, I did my homework and searched the site for this but no luck so here goes with a real DUH for a question about hooking up heater and by pass hoses on my 1962 261 engine which is in my 53 half ton. None of the heater or bypass lines were on the engine when I got it.
Heater hose and bypass mounting:
There are four outlets for water on the pass side of the water pump and water outlet. Two in the outlet and two in the water pump. In both cases they are arranged one on top and one lower.
For the heater hookup it looks like you would use one of the connections at the water outlet/ thermostat housing to go to the top water inlet on the heater. Then the hose on the water outlet on the heater would go back to one of the outlets on the water pump as that is where the cooler water goes to the engine from the bottom of the radiator. If I am wrong please correct me.
Now there is a by-pass hose that appears to go from water pump to water outlet but I don't know for sure which holes in the pump and outlet to use for the bypass and which to use for the heater connection.
Anyone got a pic of a 261 under the hood that shows these connections or can describe which is which would be most appreciated. I've been trying to get this running after swapping out the worn out 235 the PO had put in it. I think I have solved the ignition wiring and charging system wiring thanks to a good friend who spent two days helping and I think he solved wiring the OD with the help of information on the Stovebolt site, but neither of us can decide for sure on the bypass and heater hose issue. We are leaning toward using the upper hole on the water pump and the upper hole on the T-stat housing for the by-pass but sure don't want to screw the heating system up after all the work of swapping this thing into the 53.
Moving Radiator:
I haven't fully solved the radiator clearance issue but did follow the path of getting a shallow water pump pulley from the local wrecking yard (its off a 318 Chrysler product from the late 70s and fits the WP shaft perfect but had to drill new mounting holes. I cut the shaft shorter after pressing the pulley mounting flange down on the shaft. Since all the sheet metal is off the front I'm not sure about radiator clearance but think it won't be enough for a pulley-mounted fan unless I move the radiator forward a bit. Has anyone moved the radiator forward in the AD pickup and how?