Denny, thank you very much for sending me those links. I will read them all. I devour stuff like that.

One of my favorite articles was a motorcycle magazine test of spark plugs. The motorcycle industry would like riders and racers like me to think that "motorcycle" plugs are somehow different. The magazine tested an engine on a dyno and on the track with every plug that could get their hands on. There was no significant difference on the dyno or on the track. The magazine concluded "Buy the spark plugs "THAT PERFORM BEST AT THE CASH REGISTER".

The motorcycle industry tries to promote the same hocus pucus concerning 2 and 4 stroke motor oil. Since I raced 2-strokes from 1968 through 2001, I was focused on 2-stroke oil. While others were using very expensive "Motorcycle" oils mixed at ratios of 50 or 60:1, I was running Castrol 2-stroke oil costing $1.68 a quart at 20:1. I rode their bikes and felt no performance difference.

The difference I did see was their failed connecting rods and crankpins and bearings that had turned blue from excessive heat and lack of lubrication. I got some really close looks at those parts because they used to bring me the failed parts and the rod kits so I could rebuild and align their crankshafts in my home shop.

When I disassembled my own race engines to check the condition of the lower end parts after each race season I found parts wet with oil and in perfect condition. Only piston rings showed wear after a year of racing. I did also replace the pistons to avoid the possibility of failure from metal fatigue.

My point is that there is a lot of hype about Cadillac (expensive) solutions to Chevrolet challenges.

As one of my stockbroker friends says out of earshot of others "The way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your wallet". I do that by avoiding unnecessarily expensive stuff. Maybe I'll feel differently after reading the links you sent. Thanks again for doing that.


Ray