Similar to the fuel cell option - Costs maybe around $100 in materials including a gas tank that'll fit in the back frame rails if you choose to do it this way. I usually use a chevy S10 blazer tank when switching tanks around on vehicles which require the tank moved from original location. $50 at the junk yard if not less for a tank, clean it up and you're golden. Just remember the tank straps and build some metal hangers for it and you're done. Then you just decide which fuel pump you run etc. Easy enough. Of course when we do this, we generally put a new cross member across the rear of the frame and there are no problems in crashes. I know from experience. I was rearended by a guy doing 40mph or so and sandwiched between two cars in my little S10 truck. The frame didn't bend or buckle at the rear and the gas tank between the rear rails was fine. I never worried at all about being hit in the back honestly. Either way if you get hit hard enough for a gas tank to break in any location on your truck, then you have bigger things to worry about.

Last edited by dubds10; 10/06/2010 12:35 AM.

1957 GMC 1/2T SWB Stepper - daily drive for summer
1965 Chevy P10 Shorty Ice Cream Truck - project
1963 GMC Commercial Fire Dept Van - project


http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/