Originally posted by Brendan M:
the only modern manual tranny that I've messed with lately has been the one in my dad's 'vette (it's a ZF 6 speed
The ZF 6-speed used in a 'vette has a device that forces it to skip 2nd and 3rd unless under hard acceleration. Probably not the right choice for a truck though it can be defeated with a simple modification.
The ZF is not the strongest transmission out there. It can handle significant horsepower in a light car. I don't think its up to the torque requirements of a truck really used as a truck. Vette guys are very aware of its limitations.
Another Corvette transmission not used anywhere else is called the 4+3. It's basically a Super T-10 4-speed with an automatic overdive in the tail shaft. Well maintainted they are pretty stout, but like the ZF definitely not a 'truck' transmission and would not be right in a 3/4-ton or any other truck not used like a car.
I've never heard of a 4+3 installed in anything but a 'vette. I own one and like some the way it works (most the time) so I keep watching to see if anyone has transplanted one.