OK so in the same light of thinking that "stock is enough" we take our old stock 2 bbl 283, 1963 model and rated @ 195 HP and the factory added a 4 bbl capable of a little more AF and now they say we have a 230 HP with no other changes.
I think if induction system is less than as big as it can be and allow good response than additional flow capabilities by enlarging the restricted area (more carb, bigger runners,more efficient runners,etc.)will result in more power somewhere in the range and not necessarily at a loss of efficiency--the carb is still mixing Dennys 14.7:1 because it works on the air it sees passing through the venturi.
I think multiples help an inline by:
1) placing the carbs nearer the port(s).Better distribution,more snappy response,etc.
2) increasing the AF capabilities of the carburator system.

I think multiples are trying to set up and get a black eye and a lot of cussing because we usually reach under the bench for another or two that looks the same because thats what we can get easily and singles duplicated for multiple operation are not "right" without changes to all systems Idle, power, accelerator pump, and main.Only the idle and pump are PARTIALLY adjustable without finding/modifying componants.
And ready made linkage that does the right thing 1st time/everytime is hard to find unless someone has already done the design and fitting for a specific carb/manifold setup.
I'm a mechanic/fixer/fabricator/hot rodder that thinks I can probably make anything stock do some things that would suit me better but I've tackeled a few that I didn't overcome ALL the obstacles but I'm still breathing and I may get back to them just as soon as------
Go for it rider and consider some smaller carbs of the type intended for multiples or at least more tuner friendly than the one designed for single/center application.


Bob Taylor