I can remember when this type steering box was common. I have seen people put a grease fitting in place of the oil plug and fill them up with grease like you would use on the chassis. It seemed to work, but I also been told that is not a good idea because the grease will hollow out and you end up with no lubrication at that point.
Does anyone know if a steering box from a 48 model 6400 will bolt to a 53 with no problems?
Also is anyone familiar with Texas Steer. I called Jim Carter about repair parts. They could not help, but refered me to Texas Steer, who they said would rebuild the units. I assume Jim Carter would not give a reference to anyone they were not sure about, but there are so many crooks and thieves in the old auto restoration business that I am always reluctant to send my parts to someone I don't know. I've had some bad experiences along that line and I guess I'm gun shy.