My wire harness was wired the same as yours, 53John. When I installed my wireing harness, it had six wires to the tail lights. One purple to each for tail lights, one white to each for brake lights, one yellow for turn signal on left, and one blue for turn signal on the right. When I signaled in either direction the front lights worked fine, but both tail lights flashed at the same time. Here's what I did; I cut the white wires at the tail lights(the ones for the brake lights), you don't need these any more. I cut the white wire that comes from the brake light switch(that powered the brake lights)and spliced a length of wire to it. Now that wire runs from the brake light switch to the turn signal unit instead of to the brake lights. There should be no wire from the turn signal unit to the tail lights for brake lights, the brake lights are activated by the turn signal wires. I'm guessing the the red wire on your unit for brake lights is where the white wire from the brake light switch feeds into your signal unit. I hope this helps. PM me otherwise.