Update:

So I got outside this morning and took a closer look. The first thing I decided I was going to check was the points; and I am glad I did. They were completely closed, I am surprised the car even ran. So I scratched around with a little 400 grit paper to get them cleaned up and set them to .018 as the service manual recommends. The condenser is brand new and the internals of the distributor are clean. I took it out for a ride and it was much much better (as in I was able to get it rolling and finally into third gear, but the car is still lack power so I decided to tackle the timing.

Here's where my issues stated. First off, I accidentally touched the little white knob on the end of the distributor. I tried to turn it back until i realized it just freewheels in either direction. Could someone please tell me what this does?

Secondly I could not get the timing right nor could I find the circle on the flywheel. I tried first with a timing light and then after reading the manual I tried just checking for it with a shop light (neon light as the book recommends). Either way I found nothing. So I set it to 0, and took it out. It ran horrible again. I finally advanced the timing about 4 notches on the indicator which is like 2-3 notches short of all the way advanced. The car actually takes off smoothly from a dead stop, but half way through first second and third gear the engine starts to break up really bad, backfire, pop and there is NO power. So I shift to second, it pulls hard again and then just falls off, pops and backfires.

P.S. plugs are clean and gaped properly. They look new, the tips are slightly white. There is currently 87 in the tank, in the future there will be 93.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by Danspeed1; 04/19/2010 6:23 PM.

1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan - 216 6 Cylinder
1971 Chevelle SS
1995 Monte Carlo Z34
2005 Corvette Z51