Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and am hoping someone can help me out. I am having a really hard time getting the information I am looking for. I have a 1946 Chevy Stylemaster Sedan with the 216 motor and 3 on the tree. I am new to these vehicles. Sadly, I am a Tech by trade but seeing as how my schooling has failed me, I need some help. (I can't figure out where to plug the scan tool in - just kidding).
I am having drivability issues. Here is the deal. The car starts and idles effortlessly, and sounds really smooth; however if I jump on the gas pedal to quickly it pops and spudders, sometimes stalling. If I lay into the pedal slowly it revs up nice and smoothly, and sounds healthy. The major problem is the absolute lack of power. I can hardly get the car going. If I put it into first and let off it will buck, pop and stall. I have to revv it up really high and let the clutch out slowly to get it moving. Once its moving, with the pedal floored, it struggles to get moving, still popping and spuddering, and knocking and so on. After a certain RPM, although still lacking any power what-so-ever, it will smooth out and run down the road smoothly. But still top speed for me right now seems to be about 35 in second gear. By the time I hit third it just doesn't have enough power to go any faster and I usually have to downshift to second.
The points, cap, wires, and plugs are all new (installed by previous owner). I do not know the condition of the carb, have not checked the timing, and have not done a compression test yet. I will check timing and compression tomorrow. I was hoping someone could give me an indication of the direction I should be looking in.
I am used to working on Chevy's and do so daily... I can't understand why this car seems so simple yet so foreign, but its giving me a real hard time in any event.
Thanks in advance,
Dan