I'm a little rattled today. I gave the salvage guy a check last Saturday for the 'Burban rear end. I was to pick it up on Wed. So, I'm on jury duty today but called him on a break to discuss the price after I found out he was charging me two or three times the going price. The guy mad dogged me. Called me an unflattering name, said his brother is an attorney, should have done my homework, blah, blah, blah. Made the first cut on a murder trial. No kidding. I go back tommorrow for the first real day of jury selection. Do you think I can use the excuse that I can't serve because my truck needs to get restored???
Anyways, I got out of there a little early so I stopped payment on the check and went to another place. They were helpful. Let me try my wheels on the 'Burban rear end (priced at $300). The hub appears to be too short with a little shoulder that is only deep enough for the one wheel. I'm thinking that wheel centers need to ride on that shoulder. In any event, the lugs were too fat for my wheel to go on.
I may have made anther blunder. I bought a rear end off a Chevy 3500 one ton dually, that I thought might work for $450. We opened it up and found 12 41 on the gear. Makes it a 3.43??? I knew it was a tad narrower but I thought I could make it work. When I got home it seems I didn't take into account the amount of space taken up by the inner dually wheel and I think the thing is going to be too narrow to work. I bought some huge 19 inch wheels for fifty bucks each including some good tires. I'm going to try those to see if the taller tires lower my gear ratio.
No kidding, a murder trial. With lying in wait. It's been a strange day.