AFAIK (and that's not far), the babbit pounding 235 and the 216 were basically the same block with a larger cylinder bore (3.5" vs 3.5625") and longer stroke (don't remember the specifics).

The Starters, Distributors, oil, fuel, and water pumps should all interchange.

As for carburetors: ANY carb, so long as the bolt holes on the flange and the hole going into the manifold match up, SHOULD work.

Your truck PROBABLY came with a Carter W-1, and If it's still on there, just clean and rebuild it. That carb is a fantastically solid model, and I'd use it if I had it. Besides, it's fun to watch the guys at the FLAPS panic when you thunk that big old piece of cast iron down on the counter and ask for a rebuild kit. grin

A manual choking Rochester off of an early fifties Chevy engine should work without a problem, as should a Carter YF.

I fully admit that my Carburetor knowledge is "old school" -- even for here -- so if Carb King pops his head in, he may be able to tell us if the Auto Choker models will work or not.

I hope this answers your questions.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.