That does seem a little bit high Fern, but unless you do the work your self I don’t think you can expect a heck of a lot less than that if you’re having a legitimate business do the work for you. I see you’re a student, most of us old timers here are still students in the “school of hard knocks.” Now after all when you finish your law degree, you won’t feel guilty about charging a few hundred dollars for an initial consultation will you??? Or maybe it’s medicine you’re into, $180 for a session on the couch or $80 for a 10-minute office visit, makes that repair bill look like a bargain.
Like Fred said if you just took the axle to them and they had to do all of the work. The disassembly, clean up and add to that getting them apart can be a bear sometimes, enter in the cost of the parts, then if it was done properly they had to ream (line bore) the bushings to fit the pins and re-assemble the whole works, the cost is close to correct.
I did all the work on mine myself including pressing the new bushings in the spindles. Then I had the automotive machine shop fit the pins by reaming the bushings on their Sunnen Hone for twenty bucks. Kingpin parts kit ran about $75 with the shipping so it totaled out to around a hundred bucks plus all my labor.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL