| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (1946chevytruck, Gdads51, 55shaker, Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, 3800GUY, tclederman),
97
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,604 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Welcome to the Stovebolt. Please don't let my negative response to your first post discourage you, I assume people don't ask questions unless they want honest answers.
Its possible and there is even a kit out there to do it.
I think its a really bad idea.
1) You are adding unsprung weight to the front axle which will not improve ride or handling.
2) Depending on mounting and arms you may be creating a dangerous bounce steer situation.
3) If you mount the rack on the axle you have to create a slip joint between the column and the pinion that will be critical to a working steering system.
If you still want to try it, I would strongly encourage you to find someone who has done it and ask to drive their truck. Lots of people on the Internet will talk about how great something is, but when pressed for details its not unusual to learn the project isn't finished and they don't really know how well it works.
Since that kit hasn't been out a long time I don't know if there are any finished trucks using it. Personally I'd insist on driving one before choosing the kit. But short of being impressed in a road test I remain very skeptical that it can be done in a way that solves all the problems.
I'm currently working on an IFS swap. The most commonly referenced web pages on the swap I'm doing were written by a guy who ran into bump steer problems and decided to go back to a straight axle.
It wasn't until I found another guy who has been driving his truck on cross country trips for ten years that I became confident the swap I now am doing could be done successfully. Lots of people have started the swap, not many have it on the road.
You really don't care how nice the parts work, or how easy they are to install, if you can't enjoy driving it too.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |