| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Gdads51, Youngin' Tut 59, Otto Skorzeny, tclederman, 3800GUY, walter74, LAROKE, 1 invisible),
70
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,116 Posts1,056,599 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 56 | I'm a Heavy Duty Mechanic by trade and I have worked on rack and pinion set ups on the larger trucks and I can tell you the first thing to fail is always the slip joint on the steering. They are extremely high maintance and require constant inspections. The sever bump steer you get from the unit when you hit a pot hole will break your thumbs when the steering wheel snaps out of your hands.
I'm with Grigg and everyone else on this one if it is a show truck and not something you plan to drive then fine but if you plan to drive it then I wouldn't suggest it not only for your own safety but the safety of other motorists on the road if it fails while your driving.
The only reason the class 4 and higher trucks went to the rack and pinion was in a effort to remove the slave steering box and remove around 400# of weight off the front end. | | |
| |
| |