Thanks for all the info guys. I better understand where I went wrong and appreciate the hints for future improvements. I fully appreciate the practice advice. I painted my first truck 46 years ago. It was such a disaster I didn't try that again for a couple of decades. Over the years I have done some painting and have seen a lot of improvement but do not have any aspirations to be a painter. I want to do as much work on this truck myself as I can but I am only doing the painting for economic reasons. The economic downturn has dramatically affected my income and there just isn't much money to spend on the truck right now. That also makes buying metallic paint to practice with difficult. My only previous experience with metallic paint is with aluminum and that always sorted itself out just fine. Maybe that is not really metallic paint?
I still want to try and fix my mistakes before I decide to try any additional pieces. No one has indicated the best way to do this. I think it will involve sanding but I do not know how much I need to sand so that the existing mistakes do not show through.
Chuck