The fact that I am not a painter seems to get confirmed every time I try. I have learned to overcome major problems with dry paint, orange peel, and I am doing much better with runs. I thought I was ready to try doing some of the interior parts.
I am using PPG 27467 Shopline single stage paint for my 52. In doing research I understand it is recommended that all parts be painted at the same time when using metallic paint and you should apply even coats. The doing the parts all at the same time will not work for me and I will deal with that when I have to. Applying even coats is where I think I fouled up. The paint I am using seems to have a very high metallic content and appears darker than I expected. I think I might be applying to much paint. I got darker "smokey" areas and trying to apply more paint over these and the adjacent areas just made everything look a little darker but the smokey areas are still there. I am using the paint as a gloss paint. A flattener may have made the effect less noticeable. I decided against the flattener or using a basecoat without clear based on conversations with the paint store.
The effect is actually pretty cool if that is what you were trying to get. Unfortunately it was not what I was trying to do. I have no clue how to fix this and I am not sure I can prevent it in the future. This morning I painted the backside of the parts being as careful as possible and still got some (but less) darker areas. If I want to try and fix this does the paint need to be completely sanded off or does just wet sanding it start me with a fresh slate? Other options? I haven't ruled out leaving the rest to a professional but I would like to do the interior myself if possible.
Chuck