Hey Keith-

I'm doubtful you'll get what you are hoping for here, but I wish you the best. (Nice meeting you and Mac last weekend.)

I can think of a few things:

1. Talk to your insurance agent used for your other policies. They might be willing to insure you truck for a stated value, and you might be able to use this with TxDOT.

2. You're trying to avoid the appraiser's cost. How much will the $12K bond cost you? Pick your poison- maybe it is cheaper to buy the bond at $12K. You buy the bond once, and it is in effect for 3 years. I bought a bond worth ~$6000 or so for $120.

3. Talk to a different person down at the tax office. I'm not implying doing something illegal, just that my county's tax assessor's office is filled with people having a VERY wide range of experience. Three visits, three stories. Make sure you have money in pocket if you hear the story you can live with. Sad but true.

Bill