Frame is gonna be shortened a couple feet, that's all.
Heres a good example of my idea (just swap the standard rear wheels for drag wheels) a link of the progress a guy posted on
KillBillet.com (a rat rod community)
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=18841 just scroll down through the pictures. The end result is pretty close to what I'm going for, with some minor cosmetic differences and obviously a different frame.
So far all I have done is rip the cab, front fenders, grille and hood off. My cab was hopeless and I've run into trouble finding a replacement cab around my neck of the woods, so it's put my project on hold for now.
And I'm most likely gonna need to engineer a setup for the front wheels and brakes, which is why I was asking if the front axle was the same as the lighter duty trucks, because if it is, then I can find parts to make the modifications. The only thing thats gonna be original on this truck is the front axle if possible, and the frame. I'm replacing the cab, swapping the old straight 6 for a beefed up 350, turbo 400 tranny, and the 9-inch rear end, long story short. The front wheel assemblies on my truck are shot, so in whatever form I make them, they will be gone. And I don't want the huge steel wheels and old drum brakes because that's not good for what is going to be a muscle car in a roundabout way.
I understand that folks here are all about the original purpose for these big trucks, and I would be too, but I don't need a big hauler, it's just what I happened to be able to afford/find for a rat rod project, and I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way with my plans for this truck lol. This isn't a restore job. If it were I'd keep it a heavy hauler.