But I also have an old 4400 out back, some unused dually hubs and a Dana 70HD so I'm tempted to play this game with it.
Grigg: Your thoughts?
On what exactly?
It seems a workable solution if it suits your needs? A 1 ton longer wheelbase but looks like a bigger truck?
Are you thinking of the dual wheel hub and dodge disc brake conversion up front to go with an 8 lug Dana rear all in a 4400?
One thing that really stands out to me at truck shows when looking at big bolts with different axles and chassis under them is how do they sit? Usually the wheels are either way small for the big fender opening, occasionally not even in the center of the opening, and more often than not hanging outside of the fenders. You'll probably avoid most of that, but check into the tire size and appearance if it bothers you.
I suppose none of those things are really problems, but to me they all distract from a good looking truck, my eye is drawn automatically to the stuff that doesn't look proper..
My goal with these modifications is to accomplish what I want with modern stuff but appear stock from the outside.
Grigg