| Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,821 | I think most of the twin screw rigs were conversions by aftermarket truck builders. I'm not sure when Chevy started offering factory-built dual drive rigs- - - -most of them had a non-driving "tag axle" if they needed an extra set of wheels for load-carrying capacity. I've seen a few pretty good adaptations of military twin screw rear ends. One I saw in a wrecking yard had a torque splitter and two driveshafts, not the conventional inter-axle differential. It was under a late 40's truck, either a 2-ton or maybe bigger. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
|