I'm very glad to have seen this thread now as I am deciding what to do with my instrument cluster out of my '46. Jim Carter wants $100 core charge on top of the $410 for rebuilding my cluster to like-new. The water temp AND the oil pressure gauge on my cluster were cut off right at the gauge by a previous owner (doh!).
I know I can restore my cluster easily enough with a re-chromed bezel, glass and decals from Carter's but to get it FUNCTIONAL may be another thing. This repair gives me hope. I didn't know this was possible. Now if I can find a way to adapt a new water temperature gauge and have all this look right with the original (but restored) cluster, I'll be REALLY pleased.
Thanks Peter for providing the link.
P.S. If; per the article, you can buy replacement gauge to use to make this repair for $15, why would you try to do the fix as you propose? I can see trying it (MAYBE) if there were no alternative but there is one. NOT to mention that what you propose could be explosive...right in your face. Personally, I'd pass on the attempt.