Lots of good reading in the archives on repair ideas for the temp gauge. The article from Skinned Knuckles magazine seems to be a pretty good way to go. http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge This is where one uses the bulb and capillary tube from an aftermarket temperature sensor as donor parts. Has any one successfully done this repair?

I have another idea and would like some feedback. What if I drilled and tapped a hole in the side of the sensor bulb for a #8 machine screw then filled the bulb with starting fluid and inserted a small teflon wrapped machine screw to seal the hole?

Starting fluid contains Heptane, Diethyl Ether, Hexane and CO2. I could chill everything in the freezer before filling the bulb and using a mechanical fastener would avoid the use of heat and solder.

Is this an idea worth trying is is it a FUBAR waiting to happen?