LGriffin,
Timing is set exactly at factory specs according to my 1960 shop manual..
The part number for the carb is 33385,, you can find it on RockAuto.com.. This particular one goes all the way up to 1978.. There is another one that is very similar and is from 69 or 70 all the way up to 74.. Both have the same bolt patterns as the call out for the 60-66..
My motor does not ping at all.. My rpm cruising speed at 65 mph is 2300 rpm's..
Originally i had a 2wd 10 bolt rear axle that was running a 4:10 r&p.. My gas mileage didn't improve that much when I made the rear end switch.. I picked up a couple mpg but the improvement was small considering the expense of the rear end swap.. Which surprises me because it certainly dropped my rpm's considerably at the same cruising speeds..
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps my motor is just worn out? I did put a new head on it when I bought the truck.. I inspected the lower end of the motor and it looked like it was in really good shape and no signs of ware.. Plus the fact that is runs with no noise out of the ordinary and it runs very good.. My plugs are always clean and my fuel/air mixture is on the lean side if anything..
But I am more inclined to think that it just may be the inefficient one barrel rochester carburetor from 1962.. As I said, these things are leaky right out of the box.. It seems to me they were just made with poor tolerances and a bit crude compared to the later model carbs.. Technology and machining for carburetors advanced a lot by the mid 70's.. Just when they were starting to perfect carburetors everything starting switching to fuel injection.. At least that's my take on it.. The reason I haven't gone ahead and bought the carb to try my experiment is because I have never heard of anyone else doing it.. So I figured I would try the StoveBolt.. These guys have done everything you can imagine on this site..
Anyway, The bolt patterns match and the theory seems to make sense to me.. And so far I haven't heard any objections from anyone,, So I guess I'm going to be the ginny pig..
