Grigg, I have a 1928 chevrolet truck engine in my vintage dragster. My father built it back in 1960. It has international KB5 truck pistons, a full race cam that was reground by fenton. It had dual carbs on a manifold that he built for it. The carbs were screwed up from a guy that bought it from my father.(that I bought it back from) so I built a down flow intake and used a holley 2BB bug spray carb. It looks like a old holly but has plugs on the side so you can change main jets. I used a VW bug intake that I got with the carb to adapt it to the 28 chevy manifold. It was very easy to build and I got the intake and carb at a swap meet for $25. You could do something like that and get a newer model carb on that engine. I could e mail you a picture if you would like to see what I did.