I just bought a new old tank for my flatbed, and I have been thinking about how to set up a 2nd tank. My original tank leaks at the filler tube flange, so instead of repairing it, I bought another that appears to be in good shape.

So my idea is to take my old tank, remove the filler tube, solder on a patch to seal the hole, then mount the filler on the opposite corner so that I can mount it under the bed on the driver side.

Please, I don't want to get into a discussion about the dangers of welding a gas tank here.

Has anyone done this, or seen it?

Does anyone have any other 2nd tank ideas that would work well on my truck?

I like my idea for three reasons: 1. I already have a tank to modify, I just need the straps. 2. It will look very original. 3. I can leave the original tank full, and primarily use the new tank on the driver side. This way, I won't have to walk around the truck every time I go to fill up at the station.

I had been thinking of building a tool box to go in the same location, so I would lose that option. I do need under-bed tool storage.
Thanks,
chris ioakimedes