I have read just about everything on the web do do with oem oil products. My computer crashed and I lost all the links or I would put them here for you. There is truth to the idea that adding extra stuff to an oem oil package will change its qualities. But since it is already smoking, do you really think a good product will ruin the engine. Even a newly rebuilt engine needs extra additives for proper cam break in. (GM EOS additive).
Crane has their own. Everyone was talking about bad metalurgy and it turned out to be the fact that the OEM manafacturers reduced the amount of ZDP (zinc) in the oils. ZDP is the high pressure additive that keeps tappetss and cam lobe surfaces lubed. It was plugging up Catalytic converters so they are phasing it out. They didn't tell the public, they just did it. The Semi Trucks are getting cat converters now, so the same thing is set to happen to them. Without some ZDP you cam WILL go flat. Most oils have enough left to run an engine but not for break in. Most modern engines have roller lifters so it is no big issue with them. This is all just to prove that abolutes usually are absolutely wrong. I use 1/2 can STP because it has the extra zinc in it (for now), and just short of 1 qt LUCAS oil stabilizer less the volume of the STP. My 305E v6 has a 6qt capacity. The first time I did this, the blow-by from the crankcase STOPPED within 2 minutes of adding the Lucas product. I have used this stuff in IHC engines for years for the same reason and it worked OK, but in my GMC engine, it worked wonders. No more smelly blow by while driving. In the IHC engines, the measurement was different....if it stopped blowing the dipstick out (SERIOUSLY, I AM NOT LYING), it worked.
Does the engine probably need to be desludged & have rings put in it?, probably.... But I bet I get another 20 thousand miles out of it before I rebuild it or switch in my 401 I am building.
Don't go overboard, more is not better, I would wait until I was 1/2 qut low and pour in 1/2 can of stp, the top off with Lucas then add more lucas (up to 1qt till the smoking is livable.
I know, I know, adding 2 DIFFERENT additives...If you just want to control smoking, use just the lucas. It won't help the smoke at start up, that is your valve seals, stems, and I have seen NEW chevys do it. But it will help with light smoking. It also works in Transmissions, I have seen with my own eyes that it brings trans temps down in semi trucks by 40 degrees under load. I have used it in Jeep 3 speeds that howled like a banshee with bad bearings. I am an enemy of "Ronco" products that can be used for everything, but this stuff works, it is not overhaul in a can, and it is "old techology", but it works and it is cheap. I don't know if you Yankees can get it, I think their distribution network is mostly in the south. They sell it at Wal Mart here in OK & texas. AND you might want to look at some of the high mileage oils, check the zinc levels, and you might get by without stp. STP is just a little insurance for me, because GMC V6 cams are hard to find.

Last edited by Fireballv8; 03/15/2009 2:59 PM.

64 & 66 GMC long fleetside 4x4
Cartwright, OK