I would look at a crate engine with Vortec heads. The heads alone will get you into the 9.7 compression ratio with flatops.
I really do not like Comp Cams. Extremely hard on the valve train, due to the ramp configuration. I have a Comp Cam 268 in a 350, with roller rockers. Very noisy valve train compared to my Crane or Isky in my other hot rods.
A 600 cfm will get you where you need. I prefer Holleys, easy to tune, rebuild and they are not finicky about fuel pressure. If hood clearance is not an issue, use an Edlebrock RPM Airgap manifold. Most crate motors do not come with an HEI dizzy. Install a Mallory or suitable brand. Next I would look into a set of headers, buy a good set such as Hookers or Hedmans. Dual exhaust with an X pipe. Your choice of mufflers, just make sure they flow well. Yes you will probably need premium gas.
Check this one out it includes a lot of extras for the money.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D12496968&autoview=sku
Last edited by Project Helen; 02/04/2009 5:50 PM.