Thanks to all for the pointers and suggestions. I like the idea of using the 400 since I already have it and have been told that I can probably get it built for about $1,000. A LM7 from Scoggin Dickey costs about $3,000. But, when I compare specs on both engines (stock) I get
LM7: horsepower is 285-295 hp and torque is 325-330 ft.lbs,
sbc 400: horsepower is 180 hp and torque is ?.
The 400 seems amemic.

If I run the 400 with a 700R4 though a 3.55 rear end (what I've got) to a 29" tire, I get a little over 2000rpm in overdrive. That seem pretty good but I don't know where that fits on the torque curve for the 400. Does anyone know where I can get torque specs for the 400? I realize they will change after the engine is warmed over. I got a suggestion to use an aftermarket EFI such as the Holley Pro-Jection. Any other suggestions in addition to the Holley Pro-Jection?


Don Lewis
1946 Chevy Panel..1946 GMC Suburban..1953 GMC Suburban..1946 Ford pickup