Okay, too much time on my hands today <smile>.
Sort of in this same vein; Edelbrock sells a $799 carb manifold setup bundled with a MSD ignition controller, which plugs directly into the GM coilpaks. You just bolt on a carb, program the ignition with a laptop, and go. The even give you a suggested spark table that is good for 95% of their customers. They aim it at street rodders who still want a carb. The application says "LS1" but it bolts to the little sister engines too. Simple and clean! Be aware that the 5.3 owes much of it's power & milage numbers to incredible ports and flow numbers never seen by the classic small block in factory trim. The EFI is only one *part* of the milage advantage equation. GM also sells a carb manifold, but it does not perform as well as the Edelbrock unit. MSD sells the ingnition control module separately too. I think it is just over $200 (or 300?) from Jegs. Now, if you go to a complete aftermarket Port EFI with that engine, bring your checkbook. I think there are FAST systems starting at $2400 USD (before injectors). You could save some $$ if you are willing to go with a less expensive system, and adapt here and there. If you buy and ATI Ls1 harmonic balancer ($200-ish), it has provisions for the popular 3-bolt crank trigger wheels used by Electromotive and others. IIRC, the Pro-jection will not work because it depends on a distributor reference pulse signal. The LS1 family engines a have no distibutor and their factory crank trigger signal from the rear of the crank, is pretty sophisticated (read unhacked). The most economical approach to a 5.3 install would be to scavenge a low milage donor vehicle for not only the engine, but the harness & PCM. I have a new 4.8 (same bore-less stroke)GM crate engine on the stand, but I'm going with an older EFI 4.3 in my 46 panel for reasons of personal preference, simplicity and familiarity. The 4.3 was factory turbocharged in 1991 by GMC with port EFI. I want that turbo and factory EFI and I know the computer side of that particular application extremely well. Everyone has their personal preferences and hot-buttons. Sorry if we are muddying the water, but you need to weigh the items are most important to you. Some may not be obvious at first. I hpe it's helpful. You know we will help, regardless of the route you choose. You know you gotta send pictures though!
Cheers,
Mike V


46 Chev One Ton Panel - S10 Frame Project

"What if the Hokey-Pokey is REALLY what it's all about?" - J. Buffet