I know you didn't do this but this was about my dumbest stunt ever.
I replaced the distributor cap on a 307. I wanted to get the wires back on correctly so I numbered them using masking tape. I just started in one position and number them clockwise.
A month later, I decided to replace the wires but used the numbers as if they were connected to the properly numbered cylinder. Get my point? No position on the cap was connected to the right cylinder.
I also had it towed to my ol' timer mechanic who had a good laugh out of it. He didn't charge me, the laugh was reward enough.
1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.