Bill,
Thanks for the update and valuable information. You have had alot more experience with these trucks than I have, and I found your pictures interesting. I learn more every day on these great trucks! So if I understand this correctly, this is what I have gathered so far:
All 55-59 TF 3100 trucks have the exact same location of the core support brackets on the frame rails. If they are riveted, they were a 6 cylinder, and if they were bolted (factory) they were V-8.
If the core support brackets were bolted (RPO 408 sheet 5 of the assembly manual)they were closer to the cab approximately 4". The core support ITSELF is actually recessed further back into the grill opening, and the difference of the recess is made up with sheet metal parts around the perimeter of the core support. This would allow inner fenders and front fenders to attach at the same distance from the cab, yet they would attach to the filler panels out in FRONT of the core support? I think I am understanding this better.
On other thing. Again I am a newbie at trying to figure this stuff out, but the "56 V-8 frame" that I bought and later found out was a '58-59, must NOT be a V-8 frame. The core support brackets are factory Riveted on, meaning it must have been a 6 cylinder frame. Like I explained before, I made a jig that bolted to the frame with cross braces using factory holes. I made it stiff enough and included the front core support bracket locations (it actually bolts to them) so that when I cut the front of the frame off to install my Monte Carlo clip, I could bolt this jig back on, and the front brace that bolts to the front core support brackets would essentually be hanging out front to locate the exact location of the core support brackets. I would then cut off the front frame rails of the original truck frame and graft them on in front of the Monte Carlo clip. My jig has numberous measurements that I verified with a laser and marked and labeled. I checked and double and triple checked before I cut anything! I have what I feel is the exact "Front of Dash" line located on my frame and jig. From that line (Section 2 Sheet 24 frame sheet)it shows 33.76" to the centerline of the radiator bracket. My jig is at 34-3/4" exactly. That is what I don't understand. I will wait and see what you get on your measurement. Thanks again for your help.
Ed