I said
definately, just because my solution to most problems with these engines is to "tear it down completely!" It's become a running joke with my friends. Now, of course, I have 4-ish trucks, all torn down to one stage or another. I guess I'll have to figure out how to build 'em back up someday . . .
I had always thought full-flow filters were better, just by the name. I recently, however, was given to understand that by-pass filters, although they only filter 10%-ish of the oil at a time, can filter out smaller dirt particles, especially the 10-20 micron size that cause a greater part of engine wear and damage. The "by-pass" allows them to do this without restricting the oil flow or changing the oil pressure. Over a reasonable drive time, all the oil will be filtered.
Because the full-flow filter is passing all the oil through it, it's not quite as stringent about the dirt it filters, lest it clog up too soon. On the other hand, all the oil gets filtered sooner.
Of course, cars today ALL have full-flow filters, so they must be effective. Anyway, I don't think less of "by-pass" filters anymore. And, if you get a
FRANTZ Oil Filter , you can use toilet paper as your filter!!!
I wonder how many 10-micron particles Charmin can stop?!!