D.J.,
I totally sympathize with your gut instinct to check the underside. We'd all be happier if "pullin' the pan" weren't such a chore, which it really is. OK, it's not hard to get off, I don't think you'd have to pull anything else, 'cept maybe the clutch drip pan/shield thingy. The bigger problem is getting it back on. I got mine back on, I thought tight, but it ended up leaking horribly. I took it off twice and tried to re-install it, but it wouldn't seal up.
I sent it to a guy who tried it once, and it leaked. Then, he said the secret was "you had to tweek the pan" before putting it on, ie: twist it a certain way, so it would seal up. Now maybe that's just my truck, but it wasn't fun.
So . . . I would definitely pull the pan (you'll sleep better and relax while driving), but I would have a friend near-by to help with the re-install, and bring lots of patience . . .
-my .02 worth
-Michael