I've read several posts regarding pulling the oil pan, but none addresses my specific question. Would appreciate any advice.

I have a '51 3100 with a 216. She has sat in a pasture for 15 years and in storage for the last 5. Over the last year I have got her running and got her nearly legal, and I'm within a week of being able to drive her on the road and let her breathe.

However, I feel a strong urge to pull the oil pan and inspect things, like the oil pump sump and sludge buildup, plus I'm just curious what things look like in there, as this is my first project. But I have no desire for another involved project at this time. I want to take it off, look inside it, clean it up, put it back on, and drive it.

So my question is, am I in for more than I expect by taking off the oil pan? For example, will I have problems removing the pan and need to unbolt other things to get it off? Will I have problems getting a good seal when I reinstall with a new gasket (I think it leaks there now and hope that a new gasket fixes that)? Will I have to mess with shims or other adjustments?

Any thoughts are welcome. I'm very psyched about getting Old Red back on the road. She has been in my family for 50 years, and I've had tons of fun and satisfaction bringing her back to life. Many thanks to many of you and the Stovebolt for help in that endeavor.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216