Pulled the pan and # 1 con rod cap was bone dry while the others were oil soaked. Pieces of bearing in the pan. Told him to pull the end cap off the con rod and then see if the piston would move. It did and the crank will turn.
Now the bearing is a holy mess and it looks like scars in the end cap as well. I am concerned that the crank may be scarred as well and as I have yet to see the upper half of the con rod I cannot tell how it looks.
I can't offer him any more advice but would not want to see him replace that con bearing until he finds what caused it to fail. It is frustrating watching him (I won't touch anything anymore) as his work area is hard packed sand and the idea of keeping garbage out of the oil holes, bearings or whatever falls on deaf ears. And he knows all the answers!!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice