I noticed something strange, to me, when I had the valve cover off my 3800's 235. There's a picture in my Webshots album. Aside from all the crud in the valve gear, you can see that most of the valve spring retainers are nice and wet, but at least two are not only dry, but rusted.
I've only run the engine for less than an hour since I've had it, and I plan to lubricate the valve gear thoroughly, probably with grease, before I get the carburetor back on.
Is it possible that lack of lubrication at the interface between the pushrod and valve lifter havecaused so much wear that the pushrods stuck through the lifter arms? That would cause a clanking that would go away when the ends of the pushrods break off.
Sorry, it sounded less likely as I typed it. I am interested in hearing about anyone else who has had the dry valve spring retainer problem before.