Michael,

I think a generator can output itself to death. The voltage regulator has a current relay that is set to a max, but a generator that runs at max for awhile can burn to the ground.

I would research getting a higher output generator and regulator.

Tagging all the lights and sirens off a battery connection that goes to a fuse block by way of a thermal overlaod or link sounds like the way to go.

The ammeter will read a discharge when it see's a load on the - side of the meter. Hooking all your auxillary stuff on the battery, which is on the + side would cause the meter to show a high charge as power is taken from the battery, but replaced by the generator through the ammeter. This is the same as a discharge, but in reverse...you still know what's going on.

My concern would be the size of the stock wires, the capacity of the ammeter and the generator.

Everything could work, it's just that everything is too small for the maximum intended load. I think you will find fire engines have almost a sencond circuit just for emergency stuff, and this probably includes some type of second ammeter.

I remember some previous posts about electrical systems on old fire trucks. They had huge strange generators and meters that had a higher capacity.

At some parade, you will invaribably want to run all the lights, flashers and siren at the same time. You don't want your fire engine catching fire when that happens.

Stuart