Working my way toward rewiring the auxillary electrical stuff on my '44-ish Chevy. Working on a wiring diagram, wire sizes, etc. I'm ordering a new harness for the stock wiring, but the extra lights, sirens, etc. I'm doing myself, as a "secondary" harness.
A few caveats:
1- my standard is "as absolutely original as possible". Don't bother suggesting I put in an alternator, or switch to 12-volt. Ain't gonna happen.
2- don't really know how it was originally wired. Been thru several owners, lots of hack repair jobs.
So, QUESTION #1:
Where do you recommend I get power for the (not joking) 4 turn signals/flashers, two hose-bed lights, two rear waring lights, spot-light, front bumper warning light, siren, and possible beacon?!!
They were originally wired here and there . . . some to the regulator, some to the light switch, some not hooked up, etc.
I would be FINE wiring from a fuze block straight from the battery, but don't quite understand if the ammeter would register the total current pull then?! I obviously want to know when I'm pulling down the battery, just not sure if the ammeter shows the total pull if EVERYTHING isn't wired thru it? Anyway, not sure the ammeter would HANDLE everything wired thru it? I'm kinda hoping that since the electrons are flowing thru everything, and the ammeter is in touch with the battery, that when I'm pulling hard from the battery, the ammeter will still reflect appropriate charge and discharge. Not clear on this though.
QUESTION #2:
What happens when I run all this stuff that the 35-amp generator is CLEARLY not capable of powering? I assume I just start pulling off the battery, which is fine until it dies. I'm also assuming that, as long as I don't run the battery down too far, and turn enough stuff off soon enough that the generator can start powering the battery back up (ie: use LESS than 35 amps). OR, do I burn the generator up if I ask too much from it? I'm thinking/hoping that it will spin away at full capacity and not burn up as long as the current it's generating is being used up, yes?
I've tested each item (except beacon) with an amp meter. Total pull, if I put EVERYTHING ON, not including the 15 amps of the headlights, Ign., dash, & taillight, and assuming sufficient wire size to keep resistance down, is . . .
are you ready?!!! . . .
67 AMPS!!!
Of course, the biggest draw is the siren, at 20 amps, and it's an on-a-bit-off-a-bit type thing, so you get the up and down wail. And, many of the warning lights are on flashers, which, I'm assuming, use a little less than full amperage (over time, I mean).
As long as I KNOW when I'm using more juice than I can afford, I think I can be alright. Just don't know how to wire the stuff so I KNOW that?
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, by-the-way.
-Michael