Well, supose I arta throw in my fellings on painting a concrete floor after it's cleaned up. I worked at a Nuclear Accelerator for 27years, the worlds biggest in fact during it’s day and the DOE always approved lots of money to keep the laboratory’s looking squeaky clean, after all, this was their jewel to demonstrate to the rest of the world how far advanced our research programs were. Sorry to say that since the Red team has been in office our research programs in this country have been relegated to the scrap heap!
That said and back to the floors, most of our labs at one time or another had the floors ground to level them and then an Industrial Epoxy Floor covering applied. They looked like glass, at least at first they did. In the areas where we actually did the work it took about a year before metal casters, dropping or dragging heavy objects had the epoxy all cracked and lifting. It reminded me of how a map of the canals on Mars look through a telescope.
I painted the garage floor at my old house with a plain old floor enamel after cleaning with Muriatic acid and it held up pretty well till I started building and restoring stuff. Then when I moved to the new house and put up the 40’x 45’ barn out back I bit the bullet and again etched the concrete with Muriatic pressure washed it, let it dry all through July and put three coats of light gray Sherwin Williams 2part epoxy on it. It looked like glass, at least at first! Once the steel wheels on the cherry picker and engine stand and welding machines roll over it, and ya strip ‘n’ paint a bunch of stuff and, well, just generally do some work in the area I now feel that the money would have been better spent else where. A nice clear sealer would have looked a lot better and been just as easy to clean up.
Now if your gonna just use the garage to store your trailer queen and mama car then that nice shinny epoxy floor will look nice, just like the Model Auto Shop on TV.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
To back up munk's statement, Bleach and Acidic cleaners:
http://www.chemistryquestion.com/English/Questions/ChemistryInDailyLife/3c_bleach_cleaner.html