asilverblazer,

I have a tendency to confuse the issue...I hope I'm not doing that here. Your system is 12 volts, so your ignition system needs to RUN with reduced voltage, about 9 volts or so.

This is accomplished by means of a coil with a internal resistance OR a white ceramic looking deal screwed to your firewall called a ballast resistor.

When you START the engine, the resistor is bypassed so your ignition gets the whole enchilada, voltage wise. If your key switch only has OFF/ON, then the bypass is done through the little switch that gets mashed when you stomp the pedal on the floor.

IF..you have a ballast resistor, it has a terminal at each end. On one end, a wire should attach from the key switch. On the other end a wire should run to the + side of the coil.

The bypass wire does just that, it bypasses the ballast resistor which means it could connect right to the + side of the coil or it could connect to the coil side of the ballast resistor.

I guess all I'm trying to point out is that your truck should not run with full voltage to the ignition UNLESS you have a coil that is marked "Does Not Require External Resistor".

Frying wires as quick as it did tends to make me think you have no resistance in your ignition circuit. This could also cook your points prematurely resulting in possible problems.

I hope I haven't confused you more.

Stuart