All of the "kits" I've seen for cleaning/coating tanks use phosphoric acid for the cleaning/derusting. It's slow working (usually overnight soak) but does OK. I use Muriatic acid because it cheap & fast. It is much more aggressive than Phosphoric so if you use it be sure to kill the acid with a healthy dose of soda water (baking soda & water mix) before you dump it out. After using any acid cleaner you MUST coat the tank or it will not only continue to rust but will rust faster. The idea of a full gas tank stopping the rust is an old wife's tale. None of the radiator shops around here will touch gas tanks. You may find one where you are that will but don't count on it. I use Red Kote & have never had one fail yet. I've used Kreem in the past but it's a "softer" coating than Red Kote. I've not used Por15 but have heard good about it. Whatever you use be sure to follow the manufacture's instructions. Those who's coatings failed didn't & paid for it.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.